Friday, September 14, 2007

E85 Test Background

This entry will serve to document some background and my interest in E85, ethanol.

It started when I read an article by John Gilbert in the April 2006 issue of Sport Truck magazine. His results were based on real word experience with his '05 GMC with the L59. The fuel mileage between E85 and 87 octane were very similar. And the Saab 9-5 2.0 BioPower cranks out more power with the E85, he states. John received feedback from readers, which were published, but nothing from national organizations or corporations.

Soon after his article, Consumer Reports published 'The Ethanol Myth' which did not endorse ethanol or portray it in a positive light, let's say. They received responses from NEVC (National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition) among numerous others. I cancelled my subscription as a result. (They also messed up the car seat tests for babies and they seem biased against GM, Ford and Chrysler cars in their tests.)

So, on a quest to educate, inform and find out for myself, I decided to purchase a flex fuel vehicle and publish my results. I bought a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe with about 90,000 miles on it on July 27, 2007. The 8th digit of the Vin is a Z and inside the gas cap says E-85. It has the 5.3 V8 engine of course and 3rd row seats.

I live in Colorado and I filled up with E85 in Brighton in August at Western Convenience for $2.19. Nice. But I didn't keep track of my mileage. The Tahoe, which is white, (and bigger than my previous S-10 Blazer) I call it Great White. It runs fine and I pull a 20 foot boat on a double axle trailer to the lake on the weekends.

Thanks to the Governor's Biofuels Coalition and Pester Marketing, a station Grand Opening was held in Longmont on August 30, 2007. 1st Stop 900 Ken Pratt Blvd. 14.135 Gallons for $2.23 per gallon. Nice!! Mileage: 90,656. Plus, they handed out shirts, bags, bumper stickers, and a gift certificate for $25 worth of E85 at that station! Yes!

We went to the lake over Labor Day Weekend. Used the Tow/Haul mode - good for the transmission, bad for the gas mileage. It takes longer to shift. In town driving to and from work for the next week.

September 12, 2007 - Western Convenience - 9191 Huron Street, Thornton, CO
20 Gallons at $2.09 per gallon!! $42. Mileage: 90881 (225) MPG: 11.25 Hmm.

No comments: