Thursday, January 3, 2008

E85: $1.99 Oil: $100 per barrel

I filled up yesterday at $1.99 with E85. Fortuitously, oil reached $100 a barrel. Hmm.

Plus, there is a surplus of corn. Ask a Colorado corn farmer, the Colorado Corn Growers Association, or the NCGA.

My mileage was 11 mpg probably because of the snow we've had and the frequent use of 4wd.

For emissions, I thought I had a chart bookmarked which compared a 1996 Chevy on E85 and on gasoline. E85 was the winner, but I can't find the bookmark. 1996 wasn't a flex fuel model year vehicle.

One thought I had about the decreased mpg with E85- what if a car ran on water and got 3 or 4 mpg? Well, we'd need a lot more water. We could set up desalination plants on the coasts. Since the ice caps are melting, there's plenty of water now. We could save the beaches from being flooded, too.

About 25 years ago, I had a water powered watch using simple tap water from Edmund Scientific, I believe. It was great! I got a new one for Christmas from a different source and the instructions say to add some salt to the water. Ok. My consternation: our demand or technology for water powered devices for the past 25 years hasn't progressed past a time-keeping device?

No comments: