Friday, January 18, 2008

Normal Fuel Fill up with E85

I filled up yesterday with fuel - notice its called fuel as it is not gasoline. 17 gallons for $36, I believe. That's about 11 mpg. I thought cold air delivered more power because it is more dense, but then your tires also lost 1 psi for every so many degrees, so that adds rolling resistance. I also heard they add more gasoline to E85 during the winter so it is more like E70, but that doesn't seem so in this case, or else my gas mileage would be improving.

Here is the emissions link http://www.change2e85.com/images/store_version1/Emissions%20Scans.pdf and a 1996 isn't a factory flex fuel vehicle.

A co-worker of mine wishes his Subaru ran on flex fuel. His dealership wouldn't even address his questions and warned him it would void his warranty, of which, he still has 2 years left. Too bad Subaru. Get with it.
There is a flex fuel conversion company out there that has been EPA approved for fleets but the kit is $1,000 and they add $200 if the transmission store installs it for you.

I thought I saw Volvo adding flex fuel to its line up in 2008. Hopefully, in the USA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi E85,

There are alot of alt-fuel
tuner types converting Subarus
these days.... and with great
success. Nissan appears to be the only Japanese maker paying attention to the E85 market, but even their offering is the upper end mammoth vehicles ( Armada, Titan ).

I converted my '01 Saturn last summer to burn E85, and am happy to report it a stunning success. A few more tweaks and I should be at 38mpg hiway/30 city..

E85 said...

Douglas,

If you have a site or details or pictures on your E85 '01 Saturn, please post it. If you are in Denver and want to sell it...

Thanks!